Friday, December 12, 2014

Bois D'Avril

Following my time in Port-au-Prince, Jeanide and I traveled up to the tiny Village of Bois D’Avril.  We met John and Deb in Petionville and took a quick detour to the grocery store.  There I was able to pick up a phone charger for myself, and a piece of cheesecake to split with Jeanide.  It was her first time encourntering the rich creamy delicacy, but she enjoyed every bite.  6,000 feet above sea level is where Deb and John call home.  They are a lovely Baha’i couple who are originally from Canada.  They moved to Haiti 33 years ago and moved up into the mountains just before the earthquake.  Their house sits just above the village and offers a brilliant look out into the mountains southward.  This is what the sunrise looks like just outside the bedroom door where I slept.

Upon waking up I got right to teaching. Friday, the first day, I let the kids explore on the laptops to see what they knew.  It was evident they had used the laptops before, but I knew there was plenty of potential for progress.  The kids messed around on the piano activity, took pictures, and played games.  After finishing class we pulled out the soccer ball and played a game in the open field.  I held my own but was struggling to catch my breath by the end.  I called it quits and got to experience a warm shower thanks to the home’s solar heated shower. 

The weekend came and I spent majority of my time working on papers for my Independent Studies at Oakland.  I have successfully wrote my 20 page paper on the effectiveness of earthquake relief in Haiti, and have begun writing the three others. Two papers are for Global Political Philosophy, in which I will explore the reliance on aid, and the idea of Cosmopolitanism. The last is for Modern Language, and it will be a reflection on my trip, with a focus on my exposure to a new culture and language.  I will post them here when the editing phase is complete. 

In between my periods of creative brilliance, I took a few breaks to go on some adventures.  Saturday Jeanide and I headed to a place called Mon Sel, or Salt Mountain.  There is a reservation there called L’Haiti de Demain, or the Haiti of tomorrow.  The reservation was a 3 or 4 mile walk through some winding paths, and sat just off a dirt road.  The park consists of 2 tennis courts, a playground, a soccer field, a restaurant, and countless gardens.  It seemed oddly placed and no one seemed to be home when we arrived. We walked around to the side entrance and the gate was open.  Jeanide and I walked quietly, hesitant to draw attention, but eventually we were met by staff.  The explained they were not open, but Jeanide convinced them to let us at least look around for 10 minutes.  We walked around the premise and saw as much as we could.  Things moved a little slower than I had hoped with Jeanide stopping to have me take pictures for her Facebook page, but it was a lovely slice of Haiti. We stopped and had the groundskeeper take a photo. He had never used a camera before, but was able to capture my radiant good looks quite well. We took a motorcycle back, and arrived just in time for dinner. 

Sunday I wrote some more, but took a break to go to a picnic with Jeanide and John.  There I met a bunch of people working with their own governmental and non-governmental organizations.  A lot of them had been in Haiti for a long time and had some cool stories to tell.  I enjoyed some carrot cake, chased some kids through a field, and socialized with the adults.  The walks back and forth were absolutely breathtaking.  You start off in a forest of pine trees that opens up to an open field of farms and cliff faces.  You trek along the narrow goat path up and down left and right before arriving to the property that sits on the edge of a drop off.  I plan to take Paul to Bois D’Avril next week Wednesday. 

Throughout the week I taught, on average, 3 classes a week.  The ages ranged from kindergarten to 5th grade.  With the Kindergarteners it was hard to be productive. It is nice to get the kids excited about technology, and it is good for them to get an understanding of how to use it, but there isn’t room for much else.  The 5th graders is a different story.  The have access to the Internet-in-a-box (iiab) hardware, so they have the ability to read Wikipedia, access khan academy, and download other education software.  I spent the week getting them equated with its ins and outs. 

We finished off the week with a class for the teachers on how to use iiab.  The information on there is mostly in French or English, so having the teachers well versed is essential.  They are the ones who benefit the most.  They can walk the kids through the articles translating what it says, or they can learn something new for themselves and teach a lesson on it later.  The teachers took well to it and made some great progress. They are now in Sora’s capable hands, and I’m sure she can help them progress further. 

I am now back in Port-au-Prince at Haiti Communitere. Paul comes tomorrow and we will spend my last week in Haiti together.  I’ll take him around to a few of my favorite places.  We will start in PAP and visit 3 or 4 of the schools here, then we will spend 2 days in Grand Goave at Mission of Hope.  From there we will head into the mountains to Bois D’Avril for 2 days, and then it’s back to PAP so that we can catch out flights out on the 20th.  I really should be working on editing and citations so I’m going to cut this blog post short.  I should have plenty more to say, and I will be sure to post my papers on here when I am finished. 

Hang on,
Sean         


    

No comments:

Post a Comment